Monday, November 3, 2008

Behind, As Usual

Well, there was no start Friday night at midnight. I was just too fried. I tried taking a nap, but when the alarm went off, I just rolled over and went back to sleep. The Drama Queen's birthday party on Saturday was lots of fun though. The Kate and Monkey Girl went together and bought her an mp3 player. Mr. Incredible and I gave her a wolf statue and a Jonas Brothers cd. My sister provided a Vanessa Hudguns cd. She was a very happy girl. She got some other stuff as well, although those were the biggies. And my mom and paternal grandmother made it as well. :) None of her classmates came, which is annoying, but she still had a good time. Corvus, the ML for our region of NaNo, came with his family. Their three-year old son had the best time just running around the back yard.

However, there was no writing until a little after midnight that night. I got a whopping 188 words started. Yeah me! I broke the thousand word mark yesterday, but it was such tough going that I'm probably going to scrap it all and pretty much completely re-write what I've got for that scene. I can handle some bad stuff - it's a rough draft after all - but this was truly, truly awful. When you have to force the writing that hard, it's time to take a step back, look at the scene again, and figure out how you need to change what you're doing to make the writing happen. I think I'm there, so when I get to the scene either later today or tomorrow, I'll be able to get it down in type. I've got a little over 1700 so far today and it's been flowing really well. What I wound up doing was just jumping ahead to the next scene. What I was writing yesterday is going to come after this bit. It'll be better. Oh, and I went back and wrote what I'd started writing in the spring, at least the stuff for this chapter. It really helped me find Lilly's voice again. (When I get a chance, I'll post a character work-up for her on here.)

Right now, I'm taking a break, grabbing a bath while thinking over what comes next, and then getting my kids from school. They've both decided to do the Young Writers challenge on NaNo ad we're going to start typing what they've got written up so far. It'll be fun

No comments: