Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Teaser Tuesday - Catseye, The Elvenbane, and A Long Way From Chicago

Well, it appears I'm good at playing along with this meme every other week. *grin* So, that's just what we'll do. This time last week, I was finishing up Black Trillium and starting Catseye, the third book in my A-Z Reading Challenge list. This week I'm on book five on the lsit - The Elvenbane. (Book four was skipped for now since I have it in electronic format.) I'm also going to be reading Richard Peck's A Long Way From Chicago, prepatory to starting it with the reading group at school. We're nearly done with Charolette's Web. There's also a Civil War book I want to read before our trip to Gettysburg, but I doubt I'll get to it before next week, at the earliest.

Okay, enough prattling. On with the book excerpts!


Catseye was first published in 1961 and has a very strong ecological vibe to it, as well as some underlying commentary on the mindless destructiveness of war. Having said that, the book really was a fun, easy read.

"Troy studied the animals. Although those blue eyes regarded him squarely, there was no other contact. Yet he was sure it had not been only his imagination that had stirred him earlier." (pg. 25)


The Elvenbane, by Andre Norton and Mercedes Lackey, was first published in 1991. I'm reading the 1993 paperback edition. Gotta love a story with elven overlords, human slaves, and dragons on the edge of it all! I found today's except while reading this afternoon.

"Fire and Rain! The creature wasn't even finished yet! She should just leave it here to die with its mother; it would be better that way. She didn't even know exactly what to do with it - she'd probably kill it by accident." (pg. 95)


A Long Way From Chicago, by Richard Peck, was published in 1998. My youngest daughter assures me that it is "a riot". Hopefully the advanced 4th grade readers will agree.

"It was as hot as Grandma's kitchen in the tent, so people fanned paper fans, compliments of Broshear's Funeral Home, each with the Broshear motto printed on it: WHEN YOU COME TO TEH END, YOU'LL FIND A FRIEND." (pg.70)

There ya go. That's it until, well, probably the week after next.

No comments: